Saturday, August 11, 2007

Chinese market shocker

Outside the temple are busy shopping streets where honest folk go about their lives. We went into a narrow street market and I wish now I hadn’t. I have been to Chinese markets before and I was prepared for the bowls of unidentifiable animal parts and innerds. I wasn’t too keen on seeing live chickens in a cage under a table topped with their dead cousins. Yes, dead chickens directly above live ones. No wonder they were clucking like mad.

We saw a few pigs legs which was bad enough, but the pig’s face was too much. The skin had been taken off the pig’s face with the head, snout and ears still attached as if someone was making a pig mask. I hadn’t realized that it would be so big. What was it there for? Do people buy it to cook pig face stew or something, or was it just purely decorative? It really upset me.

In between all this carnage, there were nice dress shops and fruit stands. Occasionally someone would drive their scooter through the chaos.

No comments: